I don’t know about you guys, but the idea of being able to eat anything that tastes EXACTLY like raw cookie dough, sounds amazing to me! Especially if I can eat and not feel worried about the effects it may have on my PCOS.
I have been craving raw cookie dough like crazy lately but I’m fully aware that eating raw cookie dough has some potentially negative side effects. For one, eating raw eggs can give you salmonella…no thank you. Next, standard cookie dough, especially store bought is generally high in refined grains and sugars…another no thank you. So I decided to put my cooking skills (baking skills?) to the test.
Because I didn’t have oat flour on hand, I blended my gluten-free old-fashioned oats into a flour using my blender (or food processor). I had to pulse a couple extra tablespoons to get my dough consistency to where I wanted it so feel free to do the same with yours! I think the only thing I will change when I make this again is using mini chocolate chips instead of standard size chocolate chips so I can cover more surface area with chocolate (more bang for your bite!). I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips because they are dairy free and still taste delicious!
So what makes these delicious little bites PCOS-friendly?
- Great source of complex carbohydrates (think slower rise and fall in blood sugar for better blood sugar management)
- Gluten and dairy-free, vegan
- Low in refined sugars (only 3 tbsp of maple syrup for the whole recipe!)
- Good source of plant-based protein, healthy fats, fiber and B vitamins
Ok I know, I know! You’re starting to salivate so let’s jump to the recipe! Hope you guys enjoy! 🙂
PCOS-Friendly Cookie Dough Bites
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour I used old fashioned oats and pulsed into a flour using a blender. I used an additional 2 tbsp oat flour.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips I used the brand Enjoy Life. Mini chocolate chips would also work great here.
- pinch Himalayan pink sea salt
Place the oat flour in a medium size mixing bowl. If you need to pulse oats into an oat flour, do this using a food processor or blender and grind into a powder.
Next, blend the chickpeas into a paste by adding 4-5 tbsp of water as you blend in a food processor. Once smooth, add to the oat flour.
Add in the coconut oil, salt, vanilla extract, flaxseed, and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
Fold in the chocolate chips. Using a small stainless steel ice cream scoop, form into individual balls. Store in the refrigerator. These can also be frozen for later use.
1 thought on “PCOS-Friendly Cookie Dough Bites”
[…] PCOS-friendly Cookie Dough Bites (Liz Bissell Wellness) […]